The Commute

So.. I have officially completed my first week of the new commute. I must say, its not that bad! I am able to live out in the country, sleep at night and still get to work!

It does take about 15 minutes longer than it used to, bringing my commute to 1 hour and 20 minutes in the morning and 1 and a half hours in the afternoon. That sucks, but it is barely longer than it used to be and for an hour of the trip, my view looks like this:



On Wednesday night, the power went out at the house while we were sleeping. This reset our clocks and our alarms didn't go off! John woke up, looked at the clock and saw that it was blinking- I immediately jumped out of bed and ran to grab my phone. We had slept in by 35 minutes.. meaning I had to leave in 5 minutes in order to be to work on time. I managed to get ready in 15, so I only left 10 minutes late. Let me tell you- those 10 minutes make ALL the difference in the world. Traffic on one of the roads I take was at least TRIPLED from the days I had been a tiny bit earlier. I was 30 minutes late to work, instead of 5 minutes early!

Also, at my new metro station, there is apparently only one set of stairs/escalators from the platform to go down and exit the station. As the train pulls up to the platform, people line up at the doors and as soon as the doors open, they DASH out of the train and run.. literally- RUN, to the escalators. Once the train empties out, the line for the stairs/escalator get ginormous. Yes, it was poor planning on the part of the station design to only have one location to go down at (in one of the biggest stations!), but dang- I have never seen grown adults act like this!

Plus, people commit one of the biggest metro crimes- they STAND on the left side of the escalators!! PEOPLE! Stand ONLY on the RIGHT- walk on the left. I go nuts about this. I can't stand to just stand there when I could be getting to my car. One of the worst things though, is when people on the left are BARELY walking- put a little pep in the step! OR how about when people just stand in the MIDDLE! I CAN'T GET AROUND! Another bad escalator issue- people who are walking down the left side and then STOP for the last couple of steps.. just keep walking! The escalator will deposit you onto the floor! Then of course, there are the people who get off of the escalator and then just STOP on the floor IN FRONT OF the escalator.. so I run smack into them.

While I am going on about metro pet-peeves, let me mention how much I hate those stupid rolley backpacks. Its like people who have them don't realize that they have something behind them. They cut people off with their stupid rolling bag! I've about killed myself on those several times!

I feel a little better getting all of that out. Of course, only until 5 when I start it all over again..


++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
PS- Don't forget to sign up for the giveaway!

Justine  – (September 19, 2009 at 12:40 PM)  

Wow!! That is a LONG commute! I think that would drive me nuts! I'm glad it doesn't bother you too much though :)

Brooke  – (September 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM)  

I hate people who don't know how to use an escalator correctly!!!

leah @maritalbless  – (September 22, 2009 at 1:55 PM)  

HAHA! I've worked corporate America since I entered the workforce and have never heard of this elevator etiquette. How odd, maybe it's regional lol . . . or I have a feeling Minnesotans just do it wrong.

Anonymous –   – (December 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM)  

yoo... good style ))

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP