Allison's Baby Shower

One of my co-workers is pregnant with her first baby, so a couple of other co-workers and I decided to throw a shower! Allison and her husband aren't finding out the sex of the baby and when s/he arrives on or around July 8th it will be a surprise to all!

For the shower I made use of my onesie cookie cutter that I got for Liz's shower and made Detroit Red Wings sugar cookies.


The Red Wings logo is made out of white chocolate dyed red and then formed using this method. They weren't as good as I was hoping, but I think the general idea came across, and I got some practice under my belt :)


I also signed up o make the cake. A month or so ago I browsed Allison's registry to get ideas and decided to loosely base the cake design off of the window valence that she and her husband registered for.

This:
Became this:


Again, not my best work. This was my first attempt at fondant and such a large cake. The cake is 3 layers of one cake mix each- so a lot of cake. In addition to the cake, there is THREE batches of frosting on there.

Ugh.. I hate this picture and seeing how wavy the fondant ended up. I didn't get a good look at that until I got the cake to the office and of course by then it was too late to do anything about it.

The rest of the food:

I also brought my drink dispenser in and we had lemonade with strawberries. Molly made sherbert/sprite/champagne punch, Gwen got awesome snack platters and Kelly got all of the awesome plasticware for the table.

(Recognize the paper animal garland on the front of the table?)

Allison cutting the cake.


She got pink! I made half of the cake pink and the other half (vertically) blue and we decided that whichever side she cut into would be the sex of the baby. Cheesy but cute.

The pink/blue layers were white french vanilla flavored and the top layer (one piece to hold the other halves together) was yellow with chocolate chips. Yum.

Meredith  – (June 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM)  

What idea to to half the cake pink and half the cake blue!

Leslie G  – (June 2, 2010 at 9:53 PM)  

What a fun shower- Your cake looks AMAZING! You should see the one I just made (I posted pics in my blog). it looked so awful! =)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP