I love beets. They are so sweet and delicious- they taste like candy! We used to eat them all of the time growing up, but I haven't really made them as much in the past few years. In the last few weeks, I've gotten a couple of bunches at the farmer's market and I remembered just how good they are. Even John didn't mind them.







...plus- they make your poop purple. What is more fun than purple poop?!

Meredith  – (July 1, 2010 at 12:53 AM)  

I am not a huge beet fan...but I don't think I ever knew how much they look like radishes!

Betty  – (July 1, 2010 at 9:13 AM)  

It's all in how you cook them - like most vegetables, the lesser amount of cooking, the better - beets cooked fresh are not mushy, and are sweet - a little butter and salt and pepper - yumo

and the other part - lasts for days - be not afraid

Samantha  – (July 1, 2010 at 10:08 AM)  

...John about had a heart attack yesterday at work. He is new to the vegetable thing.

Faith  – (July 1, 2010 at 8:19 PM)  

i've never had beets in my life ... but if they make my poop a different color, i just might pass, hehe.

Jenna  – (July 8, 2010 at 2:02 PM)  

I am afraid of beets because I dont' know how to cook with them. Also the few times I've eaten I thought they were gross. Maybe I need to try a different cooking method?

Samantha  – (July 8, 2010 at 2:18 PM)  

@Jenna- Don't be afraid of beets!! Just cut off the greens (which you can rinse and then cook like spinach if you care to) and the little tails.

If they are small beets, I just cut them in half. Cut them the size you would to boil potatoes actually. Stick them in a pot of water and boil- the same as potatoes again! Boil for maybe 10-15 minutes, drain and peel them under running cold water (so you don't burn yourself). I just use a paring knife and slice down the side to loosen the skin & make something to grip onto.

After the beets are peeled you can slice them or chunk them- whatever size you want to serve them at. I top with butter and salt. SO GOOD.

Are you making sure to use fresh beets? Not canned- canned veggies are usually mushy and gross.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP