Southern Supper

One of my favorite things ever is food. SOUTHERN food (fried pickles, hush puppies, honey butter, fried zucchini, biscuits & gravy, grits. AMEN.) Yes, I am from upstate NY. I missed my calling as a southern belle. (Stop laughing ma.)

About 40 minutes from Virginia Tech there is a local restaurant that we used to go to all the time. They serve southern food family style (ALL YOU CAN EAT). As you can imagine, it is a hit with college students.

Outside of Homeplace in 2007.
The menu consists of your choice of two or three meats (roast beef, fried chicken and country ham), mashed potatoes, biscuits, green beans, cole slaw, gravy, and all wrapped up at the end with fresh fruit cobbler (obvs the cherry is the best).

The Wesley crew at Homeplace.

I was recently missing The Homeplace and decided we needed our own southern supper.

I had all of the favorites: biscuits (I can NEVER roll them out the right thickness!), green beans with onions, mashed potatoes and country gravy.

 Country ham for me.
 And steak for John. I wasn't brave enough to do roast beef.

For dessert I made a delicious brownie filled with candy and other random things I found in my baking drawer (butterscotch chips, hershey's bar, marshmallows, walnuts) and I made Double Cookie Dough Ice cream!!


..It was like a taste of home.

Faith  – (November 23, 2010 at 9:18 AM)  

omg! this look oh so delicious! i want that icecream and brownie!

Meredith  – (November 23, 2010 at 11:06 AM)  

Um, YUM. All of it looks delicious.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha  – (November 23, 2010 at 11:52 AM)  

Sounds like my kind of place. I love southern food.
Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP