Cheesy Enchilada Soup


I saw a recipe on Pinterest for a creamy enchilada soup that looked delightful. When I clicked on it to see the recipe, it was a bunch of cream of 'X' soups mixed together. Gross. I knew there had to be a better way and I came up with this. After having it for lunch a couple of days already, I will say that I will definitely be making it again! There are a ton of ways to adapt this to whatever you like in your enchiladas- I am a straight cheese enchilada girl so this is mostly cheesy with some beans for protein.

Cheesy Enchilada Soup

1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1/2 onion, diced
3 tbsp flour
2 cups skim milk
2 cups shredded cheddar (I used a Mexican blend)
1/2 (15 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz) can of corn drained
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (whatever your preferred brand is)
1 cup chicken broth

Melt the olive oil and butter in a large saucepan. Once melted, add the onion and stir. Let cook until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. To the onion mixture, whisk in the flour and combine until you get something the consistency of a paste. Continue whisking for 1 minute.

While still whisking, add milk to the onion paste. Continue whisking until all of the butter/flour is dissolved into the milk and the milk thicken. I like a pretty thick soup so I let it thicken (still stirring!) for 5-8 minutes. Once your base is thickened, stir in the cheese until it is all melted.

Add the chickpeas, beans and corn to the soup. Stir to combine. Stir in the enchilada sauce and chicken broth and let simmer for 5-10 minutes and serve!

This would be delicious topped with sour cream, shredded cheese, crushed tortilla chips, green onions, cilantro, etc. Personalize as you wish!

Yield: (5) 1-1/2 cup servings

Faith  – (October 24, 2013 at 10:48 AM)  

OMG! That looks amazing! I need to make some soups this fall!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP