20/20: The Tips


Step 4: Reading Labels, Measuring, and Recipes with Nutritional Info

This is something that I've always been bad about. I've kept track of calories for awhile, but I guesstimate on a lot of things- not good.

I've been making a huge effort recently to actually measure out things such as butter, cheese, sour cream, etc. These are so easy to add in more than I am counting.

Also, since I need to be very strict about my supper, I am planning on going to the library this weekend and get some HEALTHY cookbooks with nutritional info in them. I can scan through them and find recipes that are for my allotted calories.

It is really hard to make sure I get the right portion size, especially when most recipes are for 4+ people & there are only two of us. So while I may be making something that is 4 portions within my calorie range, if I don't stick to that portion size, I've blown it again. I need to reduce the recipe to only MAKE TWO PORTIONS. This way we can cut the final product in half and know that we are each getting the right portion and calorie intake.


Step 5: Before Photos
I've taken these- well John took them of me. I was in my workout gear & me in spandex right now is not cute. So, I will not be sharing these. But know that I have them! If you really need a reference, see my wedding pictures.. There are many that I did not post though that very clearly show my triple chin.


Step 6: Donate to Pound for Pound
If you have been watching the Biggest Loser, you have probably seen a commercial for this. You go to the website and pledge to lose a certain amount of weight. For every pound that you lose, a pound of food is donated locally. Sweet! The weigh in day is May 5- only 6 weeks away. I pledged 7 pounds- that is MORE than a pound a week.. I really hope I can do it!


Step 7: Educate Yourself!
Go to the library! There are tons of cookbooks and healthy living and eating books- for FREE! I plan on going this weekend to get some cookbooks and hopefully some issues of Cooking Light for some recipe inspiration.

Step 8: Snacktime
I covered this a bit in my eating plan, but by spreading out my calories through the day, I feel way more full and don't eat SO much at every sit down, but feel starved in between. I've tried to choose healthy snacks that are still yummy!

On the blog, Ash has some awesome snack ideas if you are stuck! Now if you will excuse, me it is my snacktime.

Anonymous –   – (March 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM)  

I'm bad at portions too. I've been trying to really measure things and that seems to help. And I agree with shrinking recipes to make 2 portions. The other thing I do is make dinner, then immediately measure out and package the portions. (Then again, I have to do this since I work at night and make dinner at noon.) :)

Meredith  – (March 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM)  

I love the "Pound for Pound" idea! Kudos to you!

Samantha  – (March 24, 2009 at 1:21 PM)  

I'm really glad Ashlee mentioned doing the Pound for Pound challenge- it adds just an extra incentive- and I'll feel like I'm letting down more than just myself if I fail :-P

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP