Individual Lattice Top Pot Pies

I got this recipe from Joelen. It was SO good! I loved that I felt like I was eating SO much, but since it was mostly veggies, it was A-OK. :) The most unhealthy part of the dish was the puff pastry, but since there was so little of it, it barely mattered.


I substituted turkey for the chicken (as I always do- I don't eat chicken), and got a good deal of protein from the dish.








Light Lattice Topped Chicken Broccoli Pot Pies

Serves 2 hearty individual crocks
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart (and again via Joelen's Culinary)




1 tablespoon unsalted butter (I used I Can't Believe its not Butter Light)

1 medium shallots thinly sliced (I used a small onion)

1 garlic clove, minced

Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

1 cup reserved chicken stock from poaching chicken (I used a cup of chicken broth)

1 tablespoon whole wheat flour

1 small carrot, diced (I used 2)

1 medium celery stalk, cut on the diagonal into 1/4-inch-thick slices (I used 2 stalks)

1 cup fresh broccoli florets, steamed

1 poached boneless, skinless chicken breast, shredded (I used 2 turkey breasts)

1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (about a tsp of dried)

1/2 sheet frozen puff pastry, cut into long strips, thawed



-Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

-Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots (onions), garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

-Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallots (onions) are translucent, about 3 minutes.

-Stir in 3/4 cup of the stock into the saucepan and whisk the remaining 1/4 cup stock into the flour in a small bowl.

-Whisk the flour mixture into shallot (onion) mixture.

-Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Reduce to a simmer. Cook 5 minutes, whisking occasionally.

-Add carrots, celery and broccoli, then bring to a boil. Stir in the shredded poached chicken and return to a boil. Remove from heat.

-Stir in chopped parsley and tarragon. Let cool.

-Spoon cooled mixture into individual baking crocks. (I don't have crocks or rammekins, so I used Pyrex storage containers that I have)

-Cut the strips of puff pastry to fit over the chicken pot pie mixture in the crocks and either lay over the top to cover entirely or create a lattice pattern to cover.

-Bake until crust is golden brown and juices are bubbling, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately. (I think ours was done closer to 20 minutes.)

Jenna  – (March 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM)  

Yummy! I can't wait to try this.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha  – (March 10, 2009 at 4:10 PM)  

It looks and sounds delicious! Too bad my husband doesn't like pot pie.

rab  – (March 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM)  

do you watch FOODTV?? last night bobby flay had a "chicken pot pie" throwdown!!! that could have been you! luck to you on your test...how is married life? loving it i hope!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP