Seed Starting

This year I decided to save some money and start my own seeds. I love plants and wanted a ton of flowers this year, and this seemed like the smartest way to do it.

I placed a big order to Burpee and got several flowers, tomatoes, and zuchini, as well as a seed starting kit.

The kit had the tray and seed starter pellets. All I had to do was water the pellets to make them poof up, then I stuck the seeds in there and covered them up.


I put the tray on a folding table in front of the sliding doors out to the balcony, and prayed that it would get enough sun out there.


Apparently it did! I started the seeds on Sunday and by Tuesday I had sprouts already! Just a week later and I think everything has started popping up!



When my parents come for Easter, my dad is bringing a couple of BIG pots for the tomatoes and zucchini. I've had success with both in pots before, however they stopped producing after a month or so because the pot got too small for the roots, so I'm hoping that larger pots solve this problem.




In the beginning of May, I will transfer these guys to pots that I will put out on the deck. I may start putting the tray outside before then if it stays warm enough.

Meredith  – (March 9, 2009 at 10:45 AM)  

I love how many bloggers are starting little gardens this year!

Samantha  – (March 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM)  

I'm so excited to even have someplace to put plants this year. My old apartment didn't have a balcony or anything. I can't wait until we get a place with a YARD for a real garden!

I've been going nuts without my fresh veggies and flowers! There's just something so therapeutic about my feet in the dirt and digging around :)

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha  – (March 9, 2009 at 2:41 PM)  

I forgot that you love gardening. You used to work at Hewitts.
It's so exciting to see those seeds turning into seedlings.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP