Apple Tart with Homemade Caramel Sauce

I had several apples leftover from my lunches last week, so I decided to put them to good use in a dessert along with cinnamon and sugar- a dessert that I knew John would love.

I searched around for an apple dessert recipe that looked relatively quick and that I would be able to make only a couple of portions of. I settled on Pioneer Woman's Quick and Easy Apple Tart.

I pretty much used her recipe as a guide and then just made up the rest as I went.


Pioneer Woman's Quick & Easy Apple Tart
PW

1 sheet puff pastry, cut into halves OR thirds
3-4 apples, cored, halved and sliced (but not peeled)
the juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
powdered sugar or other topping (I made a caramel sauce)

-Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
-Place puffed pastry rectangles on a baking sheet that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. (I would recommend using a tray with edges, such as a jelly roll tray- I didn't and the juices leaked while baking and burnt onto the bottom of our oven. It smelled delish.)
-In a bowl add the juice from half a lemon, 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/4 tsp salt to the apple slices. Stir to combine. Allow to sit for a few minutes.
-Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until the pastry is puffed and golden brown.
-Remove from pan immediately and place on a serving platter. Top with your topping of choice.

Homemade Caramel Sauce
by Me

There is no real recipe for this. I pretty much just melted butter in a saucepan (maybe 4 tbsp?) and then stirred in brown sugar (1/2 cup?) until there was more brown sugar than butter and the sugar was still dissolving. I constantly stirred the mixture over medium heat until the sauce got bubbly and looked like caramel sauce.

You will want to serve the sauce immediately, as it started to set pretty quickly.

We also topped with Cool Whip.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP