Homemade Auntie Anne's Pretzels

I saw this recipe awhile ago at The daily life of JCHokie and have had it saved ever since. I LOVE Auntie Anne's pretzels, and pretty much any other homemade soft pretzels.

We made these on a Sunday for dessert and it was fun and delicious! I made the dough, but John had to form them into the pretzels because they were so dang sticky and frustrating. I don't have the patience to deal with them sticking and then to form them into the ropes. He did good!

Cinnamon & Sugar

Salt

Auntie Anne's pretzels

1 cup milk
1 package active dry yeast
3 TBS packed light brown sugar
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more for kneading
10 TBS unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
1 TSP fine salt
1/3 cup baking soda
2 TBS coarse salt (I used regular table salt since we don't have any coarse)

Directions

1. Warm the milk in a saucepan until it's 110 degrees. (I just microwaved it for 20 seconds). Pour into a medium bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let the yeast soften, about 2 mins. Stir in the brown sugar and 1 cup of flour with a wooden spoon. Dice 2 TBS butter and soften. Stir into the mix. Add the remaining 1 1/4 cups flour and the fine salt to make a sticky dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead, adding more flour if needed, until smooth but still slightly tacky, about 5 mins. Shape into a ball, place in a lightly greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm spot until doubled in size. About an hour.

2. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and grease a large baking sheet. Punch the dough to deflate it, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 6 pieces. Roll and stretch each piece with the palms of your hand into a 30 inch rope, holding the ends and slapping the middle of the rope on the counter as you stretch. Form into a pretzel.

3. Dissolve the baking soda in 3 cups warm water in a shallow baking dish. Gently dip each pretzel in the soda solution, then arrange on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle with the coarse salt. Bake until golden 10-12mins.

After I removed it from the oven I brushed it with more butter.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha  – (August 19, 2009 at 3:34 PM)  

Hey thanks for sharing. I love Auntie Anne's Pretzels too! I will probably make some this weekend.

Meredith  – (August 19, 2009 at 4:45 PM)  

Seriously, I think I might make these tonight. They look SO good. Especially the cinnamon and sugar ones! Oh my God!

Tummy  – (September 18, 2009 at 9:11 AM)  

Thanks. I will try this for my kids

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP