Mamas-

John and I are expecting our first niece at the end of May. I will be hosting a shower for my sister in law and I have a question for all of you moms & moms to be.

When should the shower be?

How far our from your due date was your shower? Was that good timing? Would you prefer something different?

I have my professional exam on April 9-10 so I will be pretty busy studying up until that point. Obviously I can take a break for a couple of days to cook/bake and then have the shower, but of course it would be nice to not stress about that at the same time.

The following weekend (April 17-18) my grandma will be down from NY for a visit, so that weekend is out.

This brings us to the last weekend in April. Is 3-4 weeks before the due date too late? Not enough time to organize/finish buying stuff?

If the shower is before April 9-10, I would prefer early-mid March in order to give myself buffer studying time. This would be 8 or more weeks before the due date. Too much time?

Please give me any opinions that you have!!

Gosfam  – (January 20, 2010 at 2:09 AM)  

I don't think 8 weeks is too far ahead. I had one 6 months before (because that was when family was around). Then i also had one 3 weeks after. Both actually nice. I think no matter when you have it she will be happy. Good Luck.

Leslie G  – (January 20, 2010 at 11:45 AM)  

I had 2- one at 8 weeks prior and one at 4 weeks prior.
I actually preferred 8 weeks- I think as a new mom, you are anxious and excited to get everything organized, and it leaves plenty of time to get what you still need.
Can you request some help from other family members? When I hosted a shower for my sister in law, I asked my neighbor and another sister in law (who were both attending) if they wouldn't mind making a finger food item. It made it much easier on me, and they didn't mind at all. GL!

Katie @ Loves of Life  – (January 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM)  

Mine is March 6...and I'm due May 8...so 8 weeks in advance. Anywhere from 7-8 months is normal (preggo that is!)

Meredith  – (January 20, 2010 at 1:27 PM)  

I had mine at about 36 weeks pregnant, and that felt like it was really cutting it close to me. Plus, it was pretty hard to get thank you cards out before Lizzy was born--I was just exhausted by that point.

One reason it might be good to have it earlier--our friends bought us our travel system for the shower. They decided to assemble it for us, and learned that it was broken. We were lucky that our local Target had one in stock for them to exchange, otherwise we might not have had our car seat in time!

leah @maritalbless  – (January 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM)  

Dang, everyone else has good points, but I wasn't going to suggest early. :(

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP