Sweet and Sour Turkey

This sweet & sour turkey has been a staple in our house since first trying it. I can't remember where I got the recipe though! It was definitely in one of the "diet" cookbooks that I got from the library. I photocopied the recipe, but the page it was on doesn't say the title. Boo.

Anywho.. for 337 calories this is a delicious, quick meal. I love that this recipe easily lets you sub in a variety of veggies. We don't keep pea pods on hand so I threw in broccoli. Instead of red sweet peppers, I used a green bell that we had and then I tossed in a bit of diced onion. Delicious.


Sweet & Sour Turkey (Chicken)

1 8-oz can pineapple chunks (juice pack)
1/2 cup bottled sweet & sour sauce
12 oz skinless, boneless turkey breast (or chicken breast)
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into bite size strips (1 cup) (I usually just use a green pepper since that is what I have on hand)
1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot (1)
4 tsp cooking oil
1 cup fresh pea pods, tips & stems removed (I substituted broccoli)
2 cups hot cooked rice

-Drain pineapple, reserving 2 tbsp of the juice; set pineapple chunks aside. In a small bowl stir together the reserved pineapple juice and the sweet & sour sauce; set aside. In a medium bowl toss turkey with soy sauce; set aside.

-In a large nonstick skillet cook and stir sweet pepper and carrot in 3 tsp of the hot oil over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Add pea pods. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from skillet; set aside.

-Add remaining 1 tsp oil to skillet. Using a slotted spoon, add turkey to skillet. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until turkey is no longer pink. Add sweet & sour sauce mixture, vegetable mixture, and pineapple chunks; heat through. Serve chicken mixture with hot cooked rice.

Lynnc  – (January 11, 2010 at 11:51 AM)  

I am SO trying this! Sounds delish!

Lynnc  – (January 25, 2010 at 12:55 PM)  

Finally made it last night and it was a big hit! I just had it again for my lunch. Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP