Fondue Date Night

On Friday night, John and I had a stay at home date night. I made fondue and a few dipping sauces.


I never would have thought to do this until I saw Leslie's post. This comes directly from her:

The recipe
2 cans beef broth (I use Campbells)
1/2 bottle of dry white wine, OR 1 cup of water
2 cups of water
2 bay leaves
3-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 pkg. of dry French Onion soup (dry plain onion soup is fine too)
2 tsp. pepper
2 tsp dried parsley flakes

*If you're making it for more than 2-3 people, I'd suggest doubling the recipe. The broth tends to get really thick toward the end, in which case you could add a little more wine or water.


Throw all of it in a pot and let it simmer (on low) on the stove top for about an hour. Your house will smell incredible. If your neighbors are in close proximity like ours are, chances are they'll be able to smell it too and be incredibly jealous.

In the meantime cut your meats and veggies into inch x inch bite sized pieces. After the broth has simmered on the stove, transfer it into your fondue pot. For dippers, we like to cut up a chicken breast, any cut of steak meat, pork loin, raw jumbo shrimp, and red potatoes. For the dipping sauces, we just use whatever we have in the fridge that doesn't have fuzzy green stuff growing on it: BBQ sauce, teriyaki sauce, Ranch dressing, Wasabi sauce, and cocktail sauce.

For dippers, John & I had mushroom tortellinis, shrimp (cooked already since peeling & de-veining shrimp makes me feel like I'm going to puke), potatoes, broccoli and John had steak.




I do not have a fondue pot, so we put the broth in a double crockpot that I have that was made for dips. It didn't stay as warm as a fondue pot, so it took way longer for everything to cook. The worst was the potatoes- I ended up boiling them in the microwave for a bit to soften them.


For dipping sauces we had:
Soy Sauce
Garlic Butter (combine a few cloves of garlic with maybe a half cup for butter/spread)
Horseradish Sauce (mayo, a tbsp of horseradish, a shake of Worcestershire)
and my favorite, Green Goddess/Cream Cheese with Chives (and a few shakes of garlic powder)

This was a wicked fun night in/date night, especially in combination with Monsters, Inc.!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP