CSA - Week 1

Yay! We finally were able to join a CSA. We actually are doing halves with my brother and sister in law. I had been eyeballing this CSA for a couple of years, but the food is meant for a family of 4 and just way to expensive to justify having to (probably) throw out some food every week.

My sister in law emailed me asking if we wanted to go in with them because she was thinking the same thing! We are each picking up every other week. When we signed up there was 16 weeks left in the season (Liz went last week, we went this week so 14 now)- that is a good junk of time to try out the CSA! We split the cost that ends up being $39 every other week a week/the weeks that we pick up and HOLY COW- SO MUCH FOOD!

Seriously.. look:


6 ears of corn
1 pound of kale
1 squash
1 bulb garlic
1 lb tomatoes
2 lbs sweet potatoes
10 apples
2 lbs green beans
dozen eggs
1 loaf of whole grain bread from the local Great Harvest

The CSA we joined is in western Howard County in MD- they have pickups around Howard county and on their farm- Breezy Willow Farm.

..Now I need to go menu plan for the next couple of weeks!

Betty  – (September 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM)  

Freeze the beans and 1/2 the corn, maybe half the kale - the rest is easy to eat in a week - and will keep for the week + - let me know how the kale works for you - will you try chips?

Faith  – (September 14, 2012 at 3:16 PM)  

wow, that is so awesome. i wish i could join something like that. i wonder if our town or towns nearby offer something like this.

Meredith  – (September 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM)  

I'm elbow-deep in produce right now, but I think a CSA might be kind of fun in the winter...I'm interested to hear how you like it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP