Healthy Turkey Parm


As part of my quest to eat more naturally/healthier, last night we had a turkey parm. John actually made it since I wasn't feeling well after getting home from work.


This isn't anything special or fancy. We dipped turkey breasts into egg whites and then lightly breaded them. They breasts were baked until done (maybe 15 minutes at 350?). While the turkey was baking, John saute'd diced tomatoes (half of a can- fresh would be perfect too), half of an onion and some garlic. The juice from the tomato should be enough liquid for cooking that you won't need any oils. After the turkey is done, pour the tomato "sauce" onto the turkey and top with just a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. I had a side of green beans with this.


This was super filling and as you can tell, not "saucy"- the worst ingredient, I would say is the bread crumbs, possibly the parmesan cheese, and these were both kept to a minimum!

Meredith  – (October 7, 2009 at 7:37 PM)  

Since you add the tomatoes after the cooking (right?), wouldn't you need to add some cooking spray or olive oil to the pan to keep the turkey from sticking? I've just never cooked something breaded in a dry pan before!

Also, I hope you don't mind my asking, but I know you've said you don't eat chicken (hence the turkey)--I was just curious why?

Samantha  – (October 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM)  

Mere- we baked the turkey after it was breaded. John lined the glass baking dish with aluminum foil so he had easier clean up, but I've never really had a problem with the bread crumbs sticking even without the foil.

I don't eat chicken because back in high school I worked on a farm and my boss (who taught slaughtering) decided to fill me in on how the farm animals were killed. I definitely don't eat beef because it made me feel horrible/grossed me out. I researched other killing methods and decided which bothered me. How true any of my research was I don't know since I only had a first hand knowledge of cow killing.

Now the killing method doesn't bother me so much- its just been so long since I have had chicken and beef, it holds no appeal. Of course with chicken I have an easy replacement in turkey :-P

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP